Medijobs Blog | All Things Allied Health
When you’ve been in recruitment as long as we have, you end up with a few stories!
Read our blog to get the inside scoop, interview tips and industry news for allied health professionals.
Graduate Series: Part 1: OT Grads - Are you Job-seeking?
Friday, July 17, 2020
Grad Series: Employment pathways for Occupational Therapist Graduates in Australia
Team Medijobs Australia’s Allied Health Recruitment Experts present to OT’s at Uni and we often get asked: What are the employment opportunities available to me as a Grad? What salary should I ask for? How do I write a good CV? How do I nail an interview? Got the job but what is what this Employment Contract?
Soooooooo, presenting: Part I of the OT Grad Series
Medijobs Australia’s short-list of Job options for a soon-to-be Grad OT
- Say What? Really? You don’t need to wait for graduation or your AHPRA registration to start work. Most employers are happy to hire you and get you started at work conditional on you successfully graduating and getting your AHPRA rego.
- Hospital: Private or Public: You can work in Paeds, Ortho, Neuro, Mental Health, Community, Pre and Post-natal, Disability and more! Practicum placements help you figure out where you want to work after graduating. Hot Tip: Put in your Prac Placement choices early with your Course Coordinator.
- Occupational Rehab: You will be case managing injured workers back to the work-force. Hot Tip: Commercially-focused, billing-centric job involving little to no hands-on OT work. Team Medijobs are specialists in Occ Rehab - contact us for the inside word on working in Injury Management.
- Aged Care: Working with a vulnerable population is challenging. Speak with OT’s who work in Aged Care, definitely do an Aged Care Prac or at least Volunteer at an Aged Care facility. Hot Tip: Work is generally solo and client appointments are short and sharp – mostly sub 15 minute appts.
- Community work: Services are delivered on or off-site and include NDIS, Consultancy, Equipment prescription, Home modifications, ADL, Case management, Therapy and much more! Hot Tip: NDIS is a Key Growth area of Community based work.
- Private Practice: Set up as a solo operator / join an OT team of Private Practitioners. Hot Tip: $ arrangements are varied: Salary | % of your Billing | Some $’s and some % of your billing. There’s room to specialize - Hand OT, Occ Health or Paediatric OT etc.
- Sales: Medical equipment or Pharma Sales roles are common. Eg: Mobility equipment. Hot Tip: These roles may involve equipment installation and are quite travel heavy.
- OHS | HSE: Safety, safety safety! OHS roles involve Ergonomic work, delivering training, running work-site assessments and being on top of current OHS regulations. Hot Tip: Most OHS roles require industry specific post-grad quals or CPD in Occupational Health and Safety. Ex: Driver Safety Training
- Education | Research: Undertake research and further study to become a Subject Matter Expert. Be the Talking Head on TV | Be invited to run CPD’s or in-services | Become a lecturer or Tutor yourself. Hot Tip: Often Education and Research go hand in hand – Get ready to undertake further study, lots of it.
Want to talk to an Allied Health Recruitment Expert at Medijobs Australia? We’d love to help. Our services to you are FREE, FREE, FREE!
- Ph: 1300 905 373 | email@example.com
- But since Covid-19 has hit, we are all working from home. Our 2 Grad OT Recruitment Gurus are Renee and Connie.
- Connie: 0421 031 405 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Renee: 0481 135 824 | email@example.com
- Join our FB group to be kept in the loop. Allied Health Group Australia (Medijobs) or https://www.facebook.com/groups/1964074463877245/
All the best with your job-seeking!
- Fair Work Commission
- For Employers
- Workplace Bullying
- Job Search Tips
- Agency Recruitment
- Interview Preparation
- Salary Negotiations
- Help Finding A Job
- Reference Checks
- Candidate Privacy
- International Medical Professionals
- Employment Contracts
- Workplace Information
- Human Rights Commission
- Fair Work Act